After publishing I realized that I could have supplied more information, and more downloads, than I did in my previous post.
Here are links to patched versions of Debian netboot.tar.gz (stable/Squeeze, testing/Wheezy and daily build), all downloaded and patched today, 2011-05-10:
I have also made a diff file for the stable mod.
What my script does, basically, is this:
- Untar the tarball and cd to debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/ where all changes are made.
- In the file syslinux.cfg (which is actually a file with PXELINUX configurations) two lines are added:
- serial 0 38400—telling PXELINUX to use ttyS0 for I/O (i.e. as console).
- console 0—do not try to use any video console
- In the files adtxt.cfg, rqtxt.cfg and txt.cfg substitute any occurence of vga=788 for ttyS0,38400n8. This is done in order to tell the kernel that:
- There is no graphic/video console
- The console that should be used is the first serial port, and with the specified settings.
This is a simplification, since my script also includes a variable for the number of the serial port, in case your console is not on ttyS0. I have not included any such convenience regarding speed and other settings for the serial port chosen.